Friday, July 3, 2009

Shooting Star Block




I am working on a quilt called “Shooting Star” using a pattern by Laundry Basket Quilts. The petal-like pieces are cut out using a template, then machine sewn right sides together. Was not happy with the looks of my points when I turned them so developed this little trick. (I don’t take credit for it – may have learned it in 7th grade home ec on turning a collar.) I leave a long thread at the point, (and backstitch.) Trim the seam. Then, I turn it halfway through. Thread a needle with the thread tail and then gently work the needle thru the point. Complete the turning and then pull the thread and pop out the point. I think it makes a nicer looking point. This “star” is then hand appliquéd to the background. The circle is also applique.
Here’s a picture of one block: (I am referring to the dark blue petal-shaped pieces. The white points are just inset.) Five blocks done and seven more to do. And all in different fabrics. Sort of fun to do.

2 comments:

  1. looking good- thanks for the 'trick', I am not that serious about my points but....when one learns it right we don't have to make excuses anymore. thanks cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tip. I think it rings a bell from 4-H or Home Ec days as well, but had long forgotten. I bought this pattern at your quilt show and am anxious to make it, especially now that I've finished my Amish Dahlia. It sort of reminded me of that one.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete